Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedded VM AA - multisite dial by name

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelAvaya

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
NL
I've got 6 3300s all IP trunked on ver 4 SP3, and I want to implement a true 1 number solution, and have calls come into 1 site where callers can use the dial by name feature to reach any user on the 6 sites. Problem is we have 2 sites with 3 digits, the others are on 4 and we don't have a networked VM license.

Any other way of achieving this without paying for this License, upgrading to 4.x, or buying Nupoint to centralise the VM?

I don't think you will get DBN without a centralized VM. Networked VM will allow messages to be transfered between systems but the DBN directory that the Embedded uses will only be accessible from the system that is currently connected.

It's been a while since I networked a Nupoint. (It was called centigram at the time) but I think the same rule would apply there as well.

I think you need to centralize your VM to get the functionality you are looking for.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Nupoint will allow different digit lengths via the dial plan as long as the first digit is unique to the range e.g. 2xx but not 2xxx

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

Actually Supernova, the Nupoint will allow variable lengths within leading digits. 2xx AND 2xxx and 2xxxx ... if the digit length is set to V

The Embedded can allow 3 digit extensions to have 4 digit, 5 digit mailboxes. All mailboxes would have the same length but the ext's assigned to the mailboxes would vary. Conflicts likely in this scenario.

The issue is with the Dial by name. I do not think either system will be aware of the names on a remote system. (Not as sure with the Nupoint).

Centralized VM is recommended.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Ah! yes forgot about variable length (not had to use it much) just remember the dial plan specifing digits

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

Dial by Name is made up of the names from the programmed mailboxes. You will therefore have to program up a mailbox for each of the users at the other sites. This will require a voicemail box license for each of the mailboxes. If this voicemail is not going to be the centralized voicemail, then you would need a second mailbox license to program up the real voicemail box on the appropriate controller.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

Thanks for the replies on this one guys. I've been trying to sell Nupoint to my managers for a while now as it doesn't just solve one issue we have, it would solve countless others, but as it costs money I can't see this happening anytime too soon.

As for DBN and adding extra mailboxes for users at other sites, the problem I encountered when trying to implement this is the digit length, our head office where the majority of our users are has a 3 digit length, the other sites are 4, therefore causing a nightmare!

It was a problem here as well. I even started working on a little IVR box which I can put on every site where managers want this feature. The idea is pretty simple. The master unit needs to get a list of names with extensions and names of controllers. It is easy to download all names recorded by people from all networked controllers and then rsync all the local IVR boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back