Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

embed a query in a query? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edpatterson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2005
I have these tables, sorry, old joke.

Is something like the following possible:

[tt]
update table requests set listid = {output of "select listid from lists where listname = 'blacklisted'") and requestid = 89;
[/tt]
or do I have to make 2 separate queries?

Ed

Yes, you can do exactly that (though I think you wanted a WHERE instead of an AND in there):
Code:
update table requests set listid = (select listid from lists where listname = 'blacklisted') WHERE requestid = 89;
I'm assuming here that the sub-select will only ever return a single row. You can't assign a multi-row subquery to a single column like this, for obvious reasons.

Thanks, perhaps where != and is why it failed when I tried it. I swear the mysql console has the most obnoxious beep in the world.

Ed

sure does type -b on the command line to stop it
Have a look at the downloads on mysql and get the mysql query browser, much easier to use than the command line tool (and it's free)

Thanks, I'll look at the browser right after I get this working :).
[tt]
mysql> update table requests set listid = {select listid from lists where listname = 'Blacklist'} where urlid=89;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'table requests set listid = {select listid from lists where listname = 'Blacklis' at line 1

[/tt]
results of the embedded query, "select listid from lists where listname = 'blacklist'"
[tt]
+--------+
| listid |
+--------+
| 1 |
+--------+
[/tt]
results of "select listid from requests where urlid = 89"
[tt]
+--------+
| listid |
+--------+
| 3 |
+--------+
[/tt]

Any ideas why the combined query does not work? I changed the {'s to ('s same results.

Try removing the word 'table' from your query...
Code:
update requests set listid = (select listid from lists where listname = 'blacklisted') WHERE requestid = 89;

Thanks, that did it!

I did take a quick look at the sql browser, so far it is more confusing then the command line :)

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back