Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emails with attachments over 4MB don't turn up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshepherd

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2003
GB
The following problem seemed to start only a few weeks ago. Our Exchange 2K3 server is not delivering/receiving email with attachments over around 4MB. The server fails to send (they just sit there in the queue blocking any other traffic going to our smarthost) and it also fails to receive emails too. The MX records of our host address is pointed directly at our Public IP address so incoming emails do not go via the smarthost.

I've checked the policy settings and I've got a 100MB limit on my mailbox. I've checked the SMTP Virtual Server settings and can find nothing wrong.

Any Ideas?

Open Exchange System Manager in 2003.

Go to Administrative Groups -> Site -> Routing Groups -> Connectors -> MS Mail Connector

Right-click the connector and goto Properties.

Look in the Content Restrictions tab. You will see an "Allowed Sizes" box. The default is ticked with "Only messages less than 4000 KB."

Note: The connector in question might have a different name in your structure.

Hope this helps?

Lido
IT Engineer
UK

Apologies

The connector is more likely to be "External Mail (SMTP)".

Lido
IT Engineer
UK

Thanks, but the box isn't ticked. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back