Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emails getting marked as open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
Strange issue. E2K with Outlook 2007 client. Emails will come in during the day and after a few minutes they'll be marked as read, even though the user did not open them or view them, preview, etc. I've checked everything on this. Had the user logon to a different computer, configured Outlook, same thing, so it's not client side. I'm using Outlook 2007 and don't have this issue nor do any of my other users, it's this one mailbox. Deleted her mailbox and recreated it, same thing. Moved it to a different store, same thing. Checked for rules, etc. Turned caching off, turned offline off...nothing has worked. Had her change her password to rule out someone else connecting to it, even watched system manager and only her connection is showing up, I don't see anyone else attempting to login to her mailbox. She doesn't have another computer anywhere connecting to it either.

I'm at a loss.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Another thing, I sent an email with a read request, the mail will get marked as opened, but I won't get a read request. Also, if she opens an email then manually marks it as unread, it will remain in that state.

Do you use roaming profiles? You probably tried it but, have you sat her at another machine?

No roaming profiles. Set her account up on my machine and saw the exact same thing. I'm using Outlook 2007 as well as a few others testing and nobody else sees this occur.

Does the user have a blackberry or similar ?

The system that has the client software on it to push the emails to her smart phone has been turned off for weeks.

Any other systems that have "hooks" into your Exchange servers? e.g.. Call-Pilot, Spam filters,

Running GFI is all.

Yes, I was thinking just that. I can't see how it's doing it since it's marking already received emails as read and GFI intercepts it prior to reaching the mailbox, so it's not really hooking the users mailbox in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back