Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

emails bounced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I have just started getting alot of NDRs coming into my mailbox, to addresses that I do not recognise and have not sent the emails to. This is only happening on the one PC in our domain. The other PCs are ok. I have full a fulkl virus scan on the PC and the exchange server using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8. It could not find anything. I have also downloaded and run MS Defender, but again nothing was reported. Before I starting downloading all sorts of tools, can you remember if you have seen this before or not?

Thanks

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

I just started getting a lot of those as well, I have reported it to my ISP waiting to see what they say.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

your email address is being used by scammers.
nothing you can really do about it short of changing your email address.

One thing to note (if yous have the same problem) is that they all seem to have a 14K Gif attached, this could be a trojan loader, best to avoid downloading these mails if at all possible.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Protect yourself from self-infection by turning off the preview pane in your email programs. The only way to delete a suspicious email is to click on it and delete it or right-click it and delete. And when you do, you open it.
With the preview pane off, you simply double-click an email to view it but can easily delete the nasties without opening them.
Our company has strict rules against using the preview pane just for this reason.

The test continues...

dam, gutted as thought there might be something could do to resolve it. I dont really want to go changing email addresses etc etc, so will see what happens over the next week. if they still continue will have to look at changing it.

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

IF you want to (and are lucky) you can look at the header of these files and see if there are coming from the same IP address (probably not). If they are, you can check WHOIS and see if there is an abuse email address listed. You can then let them know someone is fraudently using your address. Long shot but better than nothing.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

for right now you might just want to sit tight.

if anyone emails you saying that you sent them a virus or spam you can reply to them if you feel those emails are even legit.

most of the times spammers use bootlegged email addresses only for a short time. then change to others they have hijacked.

well they stopped coming through about a month ago now and no repeats so far. thanks for the advice

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back