Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emailling reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradia

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
CA
Hi all.

Is it possible to have a report run and have it automatically emailed to someone (based on a field in the database?)

I would like to be able to run my customer statement report and each customer recieve their statement by email. Is this possible? I can't seem to find any documentation on it - if it is possible can someone explain how to do it?

Not possible without third-party tools, or if you've got some development experience, you could write your own utility.

Check out some of the Report Managers that are listed on Ken Hamady's site. There are quite a few that have this functionality:

-dave

I also beleive that this can be accomplished using Crystal Enterprise.

Thanks for the feedback.

Any idea if I can do this with Access. I'm pretty sure that I can - I just can't figure out how to link the SA tables into Crystal.

Thanks again.

What are SA Tables and where do they live? Access allows you to link to external tables from other ODBC sources...

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

SA = Simply Accounting

There is a database file called CompanyName.sdb (I think it's .sdb)... but I'm not certain if Simply Accounting uses proprietary tables or uses Access or SQL or something else as it's database.

Did you try to link to their files from within Access (via ODBC)?

Yes. I've been trying desperately to link to them using Access. But for some reason I can't get it to work. When I try to use ODBC links, the Simply Accounting database shows up in Machine Source Data, but if I select it I get a message saying "You can not use ODBC to link to a Microsoft Jet or ISAM database".

But if I try to just open the file in Access (first off... the extension of the file is not a recognized one) - but I'll get an error saying that I don't have permission to open the file.

I don't know what to try next.

Alex

Alex,

I think you should first find out the file format of the source data. In other words, what kind of database is it?

Here's a link related to the error message you received:

Cheers,
- Ido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back