Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emailing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelandgreg

Technical User
Sep 20, 2006
US
I've read quite a few and of course none that will help me :(

I used and it works the way it's designed.

I don't know enough to incorporate it with what I have.

Is there a way to incorporate this with the SendObject?
None of the options in the default list will work. The best is the SnapShot viewer (images on the report) BUT the recipient may not have the ability to view it and will be forced to download it etc when everyone has Adobe Reader and not SnapShot Viewer ... (this is a customer so they don't want to have to make it more work for the customer).

So everything works except:
1. need the format to be in the .pdf
2. email the specific report generated (for a specific quote in a form. there's a button to Preview the report with the quote data) from a button on the tool bar AFTER previewing it first. So when they "approve" how it looks in preview, they can then click to email the report (quote) to the customer but do this part by using the email address in the Customer's table by linking the QuoteID to the CustomerID.

Hope that made sense?

and can someone help me accomplish this?

Short of downloading and playing with it I am guessing it saves a report as a PDF file?

If so, you could Automate outlook or find a library to send the file for you. There are plenty of posts regarding automating Outlook including the warning message (most either use Outlook redemption object or a program to click the warning button).

I hope that puts you on the right track.

Well,
the SendObject command works find, no Outlook error message.
Sends only the report that it's being previewed.

The user can select the SnapShot from the available default list.

But the email address has to be manually entered.

Basically, ideally it'll work like QuickBooks.
You view the invoice report, click on email, it attaches that specific invoice and a PDF and the email address linked to that invoice (customer) is automatically inputted into the To: of the Outlook email.

The Subject is the invoice number.

The user can enter whatever in the body.

Need it to do that.

I used and it works the way it's designed.

What is the way it's designed?

Also in line with what I suggested, PDF Creator is a GNU print to pdf that can be configured to automatically save to a PDF. Then it is a matter of setting the printer programaticaly and then attaching the file programatically to an e-mail and possibly called on the button of a form or assigned on a custom toolbar (don't forget to specify the toolbar property on the report if you use a toolbar).

Using he's example form and reports, it's generating the PDF (converting the snapshot to pdf). just as designed BUT ...

when I try to incorporate into what I all ready I get complaints.

like for instance, it's complaining with a Compile error on the OnLoad:

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
' Size our Form
DoCmd.MoveSize 1, 1, 7000, 4100

DoEvents
' Select the First entry in our ListBox
Me.lstRptName.Value = Me.lstRptName.ItemData(0)
End Sub

here's the lstRptName ... i am not using a form as he has that lists the reports where a double-click would be a good idea. here's the code
Code:
Private Sub lstRptName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
Dim blRet As Boolean
' Call our convert function
blRet = ConvertReportToPDF(Me.lstRptName.Value, vbNullString, Me.lstRptName.Value & ".PDF", False)
' To modify the above call to force the File Save Dialog to select the name and path
' for the saved PDF file simply change the ShowSaveFileDialog param to TRUE.

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back