Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emailing from Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

united4ever

Programmer
Apr 12, 2006
CA
I would like to use Progress 9.1C 4GL program code to send e-mails from a financial application.

I am currently using a piece of shareware code from the Progress web-site (smtpmail.p) which works fine except for clients who now have more secure firewalls and consequently treat e-mails being sent out by smtpmail.p as 'suspicious mail' .

It appears that smtpmail.p is not RFC 2821 compliant.

I however may have narrowed it down, based on the error message, to the fact the “mail from” or the “mail to” part of the message is malformed.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Can you give an example of mailFrom & mailTo addresses and the associated error messages ?

Cheers, Mike.

Oh, er, and what version of smtpmail.p are you using ?

Cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike - thanks for the response.

I am currently using ver 5.7, and have managed to get the program working by simply enclosing both the MailFrom and MailTo parameters with angled brackets "<" ">".

eg. <testmail@abcd.com>

Older servers seemed content to work without these brackets.

Should you have a newer version of smtpmail.p - I would be grateful if I could take a look at it.

Many Thanks once again.

Well, you have the latest version of smtpmail.p and you appear to have fixed the problem yourself, so I guess I'll amble back into the woodwork :)

If you run into any more problems with smtpmail.p, have a look at The folks who hang out there include the authors of smtpmail.p.

Cheers, Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back