Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

emailing a survey: Excel or Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironj32

Technical User
Dec 7, 2006
US
I want to create a "New Account" form and am wondering if i should use excel or access? I need to email the form/questionaire to different Property Managers. I already have an Access Database set up for my needs of storing and keeping track of the information. I would like to take the information from the form and automatically insert it into some tables in my Access DB. I would also like to for additional questions to "pop up or highlight" based upon previous yes/no answers. I have never really used excel for much so i don't really know much about it.
Thanks for any input!

I think the biggest problem you'll face if using Access is that a lot of folks don't have it. For that reason alone I'd suggest that you use Excel.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Were it me, I'd use Excel for the form to be emailed. (Would everyone you send to even have Access installed? In my area, Access is very foreign to most users.)
It would be easy enough to simply append the data from Excel into your Access db, as it comes in, where you could work with it.
It sounds like Access is your bag, but this page might provide some help, if needed:

thanks! i was thinking excel would be the way to go. now i just need to learn how to make a clean User Interface for the survey and be able to link the checkboxes/option buttons/text boxes to the front end part of the survey. is there any good tutorials or examples anywhere?

You might want to look at some of these links found searching the Access forums.

ACC2000: Sample Table Design to Support Questionnaire Applications

Suggest you invest in a relativly inexpensive email survey package. Check into SNAP by Mercator for example.

A quick check of file size for Access with no tables is 96kb, Excel with 3 pages is 16kb. Size alone is reason enough not to email a database. Avoid VBA code as some users will have security set to high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back