Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email usrs pwd and network pwd are not the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2007
I'm new to my employer and I never got to see the previous person. He also left with any notes.

So with that and no exchange manual, how do I change a email pwd that is not linked to the network pwd? Also the network is set to force a change of pwd every 30 days but email is static and I cannot find the location of the email settings for the users as a group or individually.

Would a users email only settings, be in "Exchange System Manager" or "AD for users and computers" ? And then where?

Help....

You might want to verify which version of Exchange you are using. 2003 is integrated in AD so the users mailbox is directly linked to their AD account. The only way I can think you would need a different username/password is if your exchange server was on a different AD than the one your users log into but that doesn't make much sense.

Personally, don't touch anything! Pay someone a a few £100 to come in and help if you go changing things you don't understand then theres a good chance of doing real damage.

You say the mail is static so is this people access a group mailbox like sales or marketing or Left_User?
Ifso you would need to find that object within AD and reset the password and let everyone know. At the same time you can change the user so their password never expires.

Can you supply more info? User name, verify that the exchange server is within the some Domain as the users etc.

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back