Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email stuck in outbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbestle

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
US
I have an email that has a 4MB attachment that will not send. Outlook 2003 keeps trying to send but is unable to. I cannot delete it because Outlook says that it is the process of being sent. I click Cancel Send/Receive and it still thinks that it is sending it. Any ideas on how to delete this email?

Thanks

I have recently migrated users to Exchange, so they no longer have a pst, there mail sits on the Exchange server.
They still pop mail from our old iMail server. But they also get mail on Exchange from a different domain name.
It only happens on Outlook 2000, works fine on Outlook 2003. When the pop mail is the delivery mechanism messages hang in the outbox, I can't remove the messages from the outbox and eventually outlook freezes. As soon as I change outlook to use Exchange as the delivery mechanism all is fine. I have to reboot the computer and remove the message from the outbox before it works though. I need to send mail as the iMail domain until I get all my users migrated to Exchange, that is why i need the pop mail (Imail) to be the delivery server. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Also I have the latest patches on MS office 2000 small business.

just a thought .. but if you removed the email ISP account.. it removes the send/receive button and options all together ..

you could try that .. delete the email .. then re-add the account info ..

maybe not the best option but it sounds like you're desperate at this point

~Shmoes

I had this same problem and was going to give the PST method a try but I thought I should give something else a shot first (Maily because i'm lazy).

1. Cancel the send/receive (Allows you to access the emails options)

2. Right click on the stuck email in the inbox (Select Options)

3. Set the email to expire yesterday and select close. (Might also want to stop it from being saved to sent items too)

4. Yes when asked to save changes.

The email should be greyed out now.
And you can delete it.

Hope it helps

Chris

I had the same problem with a user on one of my Terminal Servers boxes. Could not delete or do anything with the "sending" email. Close out of outlook all together. Create a new PST through mail setup in control panel and then mark the new PST as the receiving PST in mail accounts. Remove the old PST. Open outlook and then import the old PST into the new and the problem was solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back