Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email store and forward on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiefdz

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hello all,

I need to get some type of app which i can use as a store and forward mail server. I was thinking of using sendmail if it is possible. I need to be able to have a remote box that stores my email in case my mail server goes down. Right now, if my mail server goes down then i loose all the incoming email. I want to have a server in a hosted environment that is on a second mx record, if the first server is not available, then the email is caught by the other server then gets forwarded to my real mail server once its back up. Does anyone have somthing like this in place?

Thanks,

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

Just put up another mail server with the capability to route received mail for authorized domains (your's) to the "real" mail server. Put it in your DNS as a lower priority (higher number) MX than your primary.

It will sometimes be sent mail during regular operations due to jag-bag spammers hitting all your MX entries, not to worry.

All you need to do is to set the secondary boxes' message expiration to some value (days) that you'd like it to keep trying your primary. Then, if your primary goes down for a day, your secondary just keeps accepting and accumulating mail.

Once your primary returns to service, the secondary will start puking up mail to it out of its queue.

If the primary doesn't come back online within your message expiration window on the secondary, the secondary should start returning messages "undeliverable" to the senders.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Do you know any application on Linux that I can use for this??

Thanks,

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

sendmail, qmail, postfix... most any MTA will function in this manner.

You can also obtain this service through another provider... google for "secondary email server"

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I am currently in the process of setting this up from my company. I will be using sendmail to accomplish this task. I researched to cost to have such a service externally hosted and the cost is high for a corporation like mine. So, I established an agreement with a sister company to put up an smtp gateway at there location for my domain in the event of a disaster. The RTO for my business's email is 4 - 8 hours, so I don't have much time to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back