Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email sitting in OutBox, not sent until click Send/Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBurgit

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2004
US
I have SBS2003 with Exchange running. Email working fine. 1 user started having a problem where all sent messages just sit in the Outbox until Send/Receive is clicked. User is working on line, and is not using personal folders. User is running Outlook 2003 on XP SP1 machine. Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,

Brian

First make sure Outlook is working "ONLINE" by clicking on the menu File.

Then,

Go in Options, Mail Setup,
Check on "Send immediately when connected"
Click in Send/Receive and check on "Schedule an automatic send/receive every 5 minute.

If problem still exist, your Outlook may not appear "connected" to the Exchange server. Check for congestion in your network.

Thanks for your reply. User is working Online, Send Immediately When Connected is checked and Send/Receive every 5 minutes is checked. We're a 20 person opeartion, not a lot of network traffic.

Any other thoughts?

I have seen that happen when Windows Firewall is on. I have other protections in place, so I just turn it off. It only seems to happen on certain machines though...

I've seen this happen when the office install was done using an ost file and installed on citrix. We had to use a reg hack to make it go through.

the send/receive button was not selected in outlook options.

What if you try sending mail via OWA what happens then?

Well, it turns out a reboot of the user's PC and a reboot of the server fixed the problem. Of course, very straigh forward!

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back