Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulpr90

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I have been asked to ensure that our email is protected in some way. I have looked around the WEB and can see many descriptions and ways to do so. None of it makes any real sense to me. What is your reccomendations for securing email both in transit and once delivered. Are there any good places to get this info as I have no clue on how to configure.

Many Thanks Paul..

Look into a company called Message labs. They are a company that will filter e-mail for you. They provide SPAM and Anti-Virus filtering. I'm sure they provide other services as well.

You just point your MX records to their servers and they filter the mail then forward on to you. You configure your firewall to only accept mail from their IPs.

They have a web managment portal to allow you to configure the sensitivity of the filtering along with lots of other features.

If you like you can also send your mail throught their servers as well.

I have had VERY good luck with them.

If you want an internal device that you can phyiscally manage, I like Sonicwall's E-mail security device.

It really depends on what you mean by "protected". This could mean so many things. Are you talking about being protected in the event of a disaster (i.e. server crash)? Do you mean inbound emails are free from SPAM? Do you mean protected in that viruses can't get in? All of the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back