Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Returned because PTR Record Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaintenanceMadeEasy

Programmer
Jun 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I am having difficulity with email being returned (by yahoo, Roadrunner,AOL and others) as non-deliverable because they are not able to see the PTR Record on a Reverse DNS Lookup. I have created both the associated A and PTR Records for the domain, but the server still reports that a PTR Record does not exist. (I am using the tools at dnsstuff.com) I does however, find the A record. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? I have been beating my head two weeks now and it is beginning to hurt!! Our setup is as follows:

Our static IP is provided by Sprint
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, all SP's and Updates applied
IIS is running
Active Directory
MS Exchange 2000

My thanks is advance,

Graham

Are you doing your own DNS for the Internet? The PTR record the other mail servers are looking for is the one that handles your email domains DNS, not your internal DNS.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

You will need your provider to create, on there side, a pointer record for the IP address of your mail server. We had this exact same problem about two years ago and it fixed our issue not being able to email people with yahoo.com addresses

The owner of your ip-range should be contacted to setup the PTR record.

Strangely, our ip-range was owned by an ISP different to the ISP who provided the ip addresses!? However, I phoned them up and they set me up a reverse lookup PTR record in a couple of hours.

After several weeks of beating my head, I seemed to have finally found a solution to this problem.

Because we are under thier pricing plan for a "small business", blah, blah, blah . . . Sprint would do nothing to have the PTR record corrected. I did however find an alternative solution that has been working since yesterday afternoon. The solution is to create an SMTP Connecter in MS Exchange that passes all outgoing mail to the mail relay server of our ISP.

Here is how you make the configuration:

-Open the Exchange System Manager Console

-Go to the [Connectors] node and create a new SMTP Connection

-On the [General] Tab, Select [Forward all mal through this connector to the following smart hosts]
-Enter you ISP mail relay server (example: mail.yahoo.com)
-Add your server as the local bridge

-Go to the [Address Space] Tab
-Click Add a new Address Space
-Choose SMTP
-Enter a "*" for the domain and close the window

-DO NOT check [Allow messages to be relayed to these domains. Leave it UNCHECKED!!

-Apply the settings and you are done!!

My thanks to everyone for their help and I wish you luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back