Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarse

Programmer
Apr 9, 2006
CA
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question;

I have several clients that I service off of one Laptop ... one of these clients requires that I use a VPN (I believe it is WIN2K3 Server based) ... my issue is that while I am connected to this VPN my email services are cut off ... My ISP does not support POP3 outside of its domain. The only way to get my mail is through a WEBMAIL connection which is not automatically updated plus doesn't allow multiple connections for each of my 10 addresses.

I heard part of a conversation which I didn't have time to jump into that it might be possible to relay, via proxy, my email from a fixed location inside my ISP's domain. I do have a 24/7 XP pro machine that is acting as an automated controller that is accessible via the internet which I could use for this task but I have no idea if I understood that this is possible and or where to begin to set up something to test.

I assume, if it is possible, that the PROXY box would have to have a static and or psudo static address (already done) and that some information must be setup in the proxy area of that box ... I would also assume that the Email client software would then have to be instructed to locate this box and use it as a Proxy address? I am not using OE I use the latest version of Eudora.

Could someone please confirm that this is possible and if so possibly point me in the right direction to try this out

Thanx for your time

I had a similar thought in mind. I posted a question on directing a vpn to a static ip, and then that static ip, port 25, at another site, would be used for smtp. I just can't figure out how to implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back