Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc3596

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
I have a web site that was written mostly using ASP classic (some pages use .NET). It will eventually all get rewritten using .NET. Currently, I am using ASPMail which is an older technology. I was reading about CDOSYS (ASP classic) and System.Web.Mail and/or System.Net.Mail classes. I'd like to create an "email send" method which would be compatible with as many users as possible. Users will be required to all be on Windows. The site writes back to a local ERP package. Any thoughts on a best approach method to go with? Thanks.

I'd like to create an "email send" method which would be compatible with as many users as possible

The mail functionality you write, has nothing to do with what the client is running. All the code runs on the web server the site is on. The client only comes into play when you have to concern yourself with how the HTMLL renders, per browser.

sorry, ny users on windows i meant servers not pc's. All running IIS.

Again, this has nothing to do with the client. At this point it would make more sense to use the newest technology that is available to you, and use .NET.

ok...I get it now. Windows is irrelevant. So System.Net.Mail, any issues I should be concerned with? Do i have to know about users and which email server they use, etc...?

So System.Net.Mail, any issues I should be concerned with?
Not that I know of. That is just a mechanism to send the mail.

Do i have to know about users and which email server they use, etc...?
No because you either send the email as text or HTML. The client's email server will be able to render what you send.

You will most likely need to know which email server they use, meaning you will need to know the DNS (or ip address) of the mail host. You might can get around this by specifying local delivery, but I have not done it that way.

Are you going to be sending through an Exchange server? If so you might have issues with permissions but you should be able to get around that.

Also, one thing that I've been playing around with is this (it's pretty cool):
You might not have a need for Exchange integration, just thought I would mention it.

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back