Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

is2teli

MIS
Mar 7, 2005
US
I have 1 MAS/1MSS separate servers and trying to setup to allow email notificatin when a new message is received.

I checked with the server group and mss server has been added to allow smtp relay from the mss server. Checkd on the smtp logs, it does not show that anything is being sent from our mss server.

Anywhere I can look? I am only trying to field users that they have a message and need to dial in and check.

I assume the COS allows them to use it and that it is setup in the subscriber options ?

Also that it is allowed in the VMSC ?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Yes, the COS is set to allow email amd vmsc has it enabled. the log does not show that it is even sending it via smtp relay.

So if you look at the logs for the smtp in you see the message being left for the user but in the smtp out you never see anything ? not even an error?

It really sounds like the user does not have this turned on in subscriber option.

you should see an error at least if it is not going out.

What does it show in the App log ? do you ever see anything about notifyMe ?

Ken Means

This is the error received in smtp log.

[06/20 14:33:44.755923]-[9102]: Relay attempt from John.Doe@mss.xxxx.com
[06/20 14:33:44.755966]-[9102]: localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
[06/20 14:33:44.756002]-[9102]: 51455
[06/20 14:33:44.757175]-[9102]: Network I/O Error from localhost.localdomain rc [74] 0 bytes 00:00:00

Hi

Do you have your companies mail server & IP address entered under "external hosts" on the MSS?

Also check to see if the mail server is listed as the "Mailbox Gateway Machine Name" under "Mail Options" on the MSS.

Can you send a test mail from diagnostics?

the relay is set to 127.0.0.1 and that will not work you need to set your own smtp relay for your network or ask the network guys what to use.

Ken Means

Hi, my mailbox machine name is my smtp server address. were is external hosts ste?

kenmeans - where do i change the relay address? thanks fro yor help

On the MSS you'll see the section Server Administration. The 3rd link down is called External Hosts. You'll need IP Address, Host name and Alias.

And your network admin will need to make sure that anything coming from the MSS is allowed otherwise it will just be blocked

Ken Means

under external hosts, i added the exchange server address, relay is alllowed from the mss server. I chanaged from smtp server address and selected the exchange server as the machine name. and tested the email and still showing relay is set to 127.0.0.1

so if i understand the relay is suppose to be set to exchange to relay or to another ip address that allows the relay, not the smtp?

what should be set under MAIL OPTIONS:

MACHINE NAME is set to exchange server
alias, i had the mss address in there. should this be the exchange server or the smtp server

It can be smp or exchange byut it depends on your relay setting on your network

Ken Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back