Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email not displaying automatically in outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbead

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2002
US
HI:

We are running win2k/exchange 2k enterprise sp2/ and the client is win2k sp3 with office w2k sp2.

Some of my users need to refresh or press the inbox to display new messages they do not automatically appear in outlook. What could cause this? Thanks, Jbead JBead

all email. It was after applying Win2k sp3 and it is only on the laptops. Thanks, JBead

still having problems. I was going to uninstall sp3 on one and see what happens, but to date there is still a problem. thanks, robin JBead

Hi Jbead,
I had the same problem. You probably have some sort of firewall software installed on the laptop. The pop up notification stating you have new mail uses the UDP protocol. The firewall software is blocking that. When you move from one folder to another it refreshes the mail and that is when it all appears. I disabled the firewall software on the nic and my users were able to get there email without refreshing. The only problem is the user has to reenable the firewall when they are outside of the office.
Hope this fixes your problem

To: Everyone - Any ideas ? Solutions? Thanks in advance...

I have exactly the same problem both with E5.5 and now with E2K. Could this be caused by our Cisco Switch?

We don't have Firewalls on our desktop computers inside the office.

New mail notifations are via UDP. Could be blocked at the switch/router. You could always set the client up to poll instead.

John
MOSMWNMTK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back