Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email info found by running SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronmatthews

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2004
US
OK, as it stands right now, I have an Access database that uses some ODBC connections to connect to an Oracle DB we have. It then runs a query to find specific information and, if found, emails that file to a specific user. It is in the task scheduler to run every couple of hours. What I want to figure out how to do is this: I want to create a script that I can have on the server itself, no need for Access to come up and run from the remote location. From this script, I want to have the SQL query written into it that then gets the needed info from our Oracle DB and emails it to the user. I'd perfer the email to be sent directly over the stmp or any other process instead of needing to pull of Outlook. I'd like the data to be in the subject of the email, rather than an attachment like Access does it. Anyone that could point me in the right direction would be greatly appericated.

step 1. i have posted stuff on how to send email using cdo and smtp in this forum.

step 2. access oracle db and running a query against it. i would think someone has posted something about it on this forum already.

do a keyword search in this forum and perhaps check out the faq.

once you have a semblence of a script, post what you have and i am sure someone will jump in and try and help you out.

it is a joy to try and teach, i think that is the key to your request

For the connecting to the DB and running a query, search this forum for ADO, ODBC, or SQL. One of those should get you started. For the email portion, search this forum for 'CDO' or 'email'.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back