Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email forwarding problem with SBS2003 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thilton

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hello All,

I've got a user that I need to have emails forwarded from her Exchange 2003 account to an email account on another provider - say a hotmail account. I created a rule for her in the OWA to forward all mail sent to her exchange account to her other external account but it doesn't seem to be working. Is this the proper method of doing mail forwarding in Exchange? What should I be looking for in terms of logs? I need to get this fixed quickly so any help is appreciated.

Troy

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Thanks anyway.

Troy

I have the same problem, how did you figure it out. I have seen where you set up the rule and make sure you do not select anything on the first step so it affects all of the messages coming in. I can get it to forward to another email on the same domain but it does not want to forward to an outside account. Is there a global/individual setting or permission you changed?

Thanks for sharing the wealth ahead of time...mark@realityninfo.com

First, create a Contact in Active Directory. NOTE: this is a Contact, not a User. I suggest creating the contact name with an "x" (ex. xBob Smith). Do not give this contact an Exchange address. In this contact setup enter the external email address that you want to forward mail to.

Once done, go into the existing Exchange User's properties. Then setup forwarding to the new Contact (xBill Smith) account. This way, Exchange will forward the mail to an internal account which will send the email to the external account. Works like a charm. Hope I made sense.

Hi Troy

I also have the same issue and followed your advice in the previous post. I have setup the Contact record with the external email and gone into the user's setup properties and under the Exchange General tab,Forwarding and attempted to select the contact record. However this screen only allows for Users or Other Objects to be selected and the newly created Contact record cannot be found to add this to the forwarding list. Am I missing something here in the process. Thanks advance for any assistace you can provide. Its Windows 2003 SBS thats running on this server.

Thanks

Thanks Thilton, I had finally found it searching through dogpile and google, someone had made mention have that new process. As for MNight, check to make sure that you are looking for contacts when you do the AD search to select an email to forward to.

I can attest this does work...unfortunately this person is someone that has an internal email as well so I needed to make the Contact name slight different.

I will see if I still have those work arounds printed off and I will post again.

Thanks for that dabroc. The issue still persists for me and I wonder if it is to do with it being Small Business Server?

I created the Contact record in AD in the same location as the actual users are created in the AD. If I then do a search through AD i can find the newly created Contact Records.

However when I then go into the User configuration for the user that I wish Email to be forwarded from , Select Exchange General Tab and select Forwarding - The search AD option in there only has the option to search USERS and OTHER OBJECTS. There is not an option to Search for CONTACTS as well. So the list of available objects to select from the AD for forwarding is limited to the users list and a few other objects but not the contact record i created.

The fact that outwith the forwarding screen the contact record can be searched for and found, but in the forwarding screen it cannot, makes me think that there is a restriction within the system to stop contact records from being selected as a valid forwarding AD object in my setup.

I hope this makes some sense and any further thoughts from you or Thilton ( or anyone else for that matter) for be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Mnight,

I figured out what I forgot to tell you. When you create the Contact account make sure that you check the "Create and Exchange email account" check box, then click the Modify button to select the type of email account you wish to forward mail to. On the next screen enter the external email address.

That should be it.

Thilton

That was indeed the missing piece in the puzzle. All working now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back