Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email form from frontpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretto99

Technical User
Mar 6, 2002
AU
As a new user been spending hours on this and not winning. I have set up a registration page which I wish users to complete and then submit to be sent to me via email (dont need it stored anywhere). The page can be viewed at

when I hit the submit button, it tries to load this page:

and gives me a 404 error.

I know its something to do with this part of the code:

<form method=&quot;POST&quot; name=&quot;Registration&quot; action=&quot;--WEBBOT-SELF--&quot; >
<!--webbot bot=&quot;SaveResults&quot;
U-File=&quot;_private\form_results.txt&quot;
S-Format=&quot;TEXT/CSV&quot; S-Label-Fields=&quot;TRUE&quot; B-Reverse-Chronology=&quot;FALSE&quot;
S-Email-Format=&quot;TEXT/PRE&quot; S-Email-Address=&quot;sourcebook@wisebriefingnotes.com&quot;
B-Email-Label-Fields=&quot;TRUE&quot; B-Email-Subject-From-Field=&quot;FALSE&quot;
S-Email-Subject=&quot;EOI: Sourcebook on Sustainability&quot; S-Builtin-Fields
U-Confirmation-Url=&quot;index.html&quot; -->

but I cant work out what it should look like (even after reading some other postings here)!!! If anyone could give me a quick fix answer that would be great. I do have a dummy/empty file call form_results.txt stored in _private (not sure if I need that), so I dont think that is the problem.

I have asked my site host to set up FrontPage extensions, but maybe they havent done that properly??

Thanks for your input!
Bretto...

When looking at your code - it looks like it is posting back to the same page which FP does not like. You need to try to re-create te form. You can also try to right click on the form & edit some form properties to see if that helps & go to tools - recalculate hyperlinks. Also check out:

Thanks for your response, Cory. Could you give me any more information as i am rather a beginner: which line in my script posts back to the same page, and what should I change it to? Also, any particular form properties I should focus on? I have tried changing them all!!

Brett

The code here:
Code:
<form method=&quot;POST&quot; name=&quot;Registration&quot; action=&quot;--WEBBOT-SELF--&quot; >
I actually saw something similar in another forum earlier. You might have to start from scratch & recreate the form.

Try to create another form wiht just one or two inputs & see if that works / happens. FP forms can easily become corrupted - on both the user & the server side.

Thanks Cory, tried that but still no luck...

if anyone has other suggestions that would be great

Hi Brett,

Overall, the form properties look good to me. The only suggestion I might make regarding this would be to change your file results to formatted text. It looks like you changed the file destination from what Corey had mentioned previously, could be causing part of the problem.

I noticed you have a semblence of the file upload component but the upload folder isn't defined in properties. I was wondering if you got this upload from another source. If so, I would like a link. This can be a difficult thing to set up. I have never been successful with it myself, but there are tutorials. Let me know if you need a link for one.

I think I would remove this temporarily to see if you can get the form working without it.

You could then respond to the user, and request they send their resume as an attachment in email. This would also be a way of verifying their email address.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

Thanks Michael - still no luck trying both those 2 things, going to see if its an issue from my hosts side with respect to FrontPage extensions.

The file upload thing I did was not very sophisticated - I just changed the input type of the text box to &quot;file&quot; instead of &quot;text&quot; and then it gave me the &quot;browse&quot; button (this is on FrontPage 2000). Not sure if it will actually work until I can get the form itself working. If it doesnt work then I will take your suggestion of just emailing them to ask for their resume.

Cheers
Brett

At one time I was getting that error when I was trying to create a form on a page. It's been awhile so I've forgotten the details. I do remember the problem was with the host though. I think I was using a free web hosting deal which obviously had not extensions or form handlers installed on their server. I would check there.

-Ryan

Double check with your host and make sure they have you on their Front Page server. The only time I have seen this is when you have created the form in Front Page and then set the form up on a UNIX box. Your form is looking for the form handler which is part of Front Page extension on the host. Hope this helps

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back