Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email form but edit email before sending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craftor

Programmer
Feb 1, 2001
NZ
Hi all

I need to email the contents of a form to a designated user and update the contents of the database based on information entered on the form. The actual emailing and updating are not a problem --- what I'm having difficulty with is that the user needs to be able to edit the email before sending.

I saw in another thread that putting the form's action as "mailto: blah@blah.com" will open the email program --- the problem then comes on how to update the DB?

My ideal solution is for the email program to open so the user can see the message being sent while, in the background, the DB is updated (not sure if this is do-able). Another option is for a new form to open, with the message displayed as a field to edit and on the submit of the form, the DB would be updated and the email sent.

Does anyone have any thoughts for this?

Thanks as always

Craftor

:cool:

Use ASP to send out the e-mail and not the user's e-mail program. That way you can give the user a text area where he can edit etc. the message and then click a send/submit (or whatever) button that will mail the info and update the DB

yes, when u submit your form , then what u do is update the datanbase, and pass the data in another screen with the data, so that the user can edit it. Then have another button "SEND" and he will send the mail, and then redirect him to the page u want. That is how we do.

Thanks for the advice :)

I definitely think I'm going to go with the "post email data to a second form before emailing" option.

Thanks as always

Craftor

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back