Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Failure When Mail Server is Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BScentral

Programmer
Mar 25, 2003
US
I am using Business Objects and we are set up using SMTP to email many of our reports out. But when our Mail Server is down then the emails fail. Is there some way that I can put a delay on the reports so that they wait on the Mail Server to come back up?

All advise is deeply appreciated.

Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to do this. The BusinessObjects system has no way to track whether or not the Mail Server is running.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Thank you for your response. I didn't think there was but I just wanted to see if someone had found a way.

Barbara

I just thought of something that you could potentially do, though. It's a "manual" solution and requires that you know which reports will be emailed, so it may not be feasible.

When you know the email server is down, pause the email reports - you can do this in the Instance Manager in the CMC. You would then un-pause them when the email server comes back up.

Another thought that I had is that you could write a separate program what would run on the report server. It would periodically check to see whether the email server is up. If it's down, it would then go through and pause all of the reports with an email destination. When the email server comes back up, it would un-pause them. This would not be difficult to do using the SDK - either .NET or Java.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

At times that we know the mail server is going down or is down then we just stop the jobserver for all reports. This works really well. Not sure I know enough to create the separate program. as you described, but I will talk to my Tech Administrator about it. Thanks.

Barbara

I have found this and did research on it, but it only pertains to the report running under the jobserver. If the jobserver is stopped then it will retry in intervals. It does not apply to reports being emailed out. But thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back