Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email did not reach the recipient

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShabanaHafiz

Programmer
Jun 29, 2003
PK
We are using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 for our email system. Operating system is Windows Server 2003.

We are having problem in sending email to one email address. Whenever we send email to that email address, the following message appears:

Code:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: MySubject
      Sent: date time

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

user.name@domainname.com on date time
The format of the e-mail address is incorrect.  Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
< abc.xyz.com #1.2.3>

We are receiving emails from this email address. But whenever we send any email, we get the above message.

Users of other organizatins are sending emails to this address and they are being received by the recipient.

I read an article on this issue:

According to this article:

Code:
NDRs are generated whenever a message cannot be delivered. If the computer can detect the reason for the failed delivery, it maps the reason onto a status code, and a corresponding error message is printed ...  For NDRs, most numeric codes are reported in the form of 5.X.X and are described as permanent failures. However, there are certain transient conditions that cause 4.X.X codes.

In our case, we are getting the numeric code 5.1.3 (Please treat 1.2.3, written earlier, just as a sample code and not the actual one).

For numeric code 5.1.3, the following is written in the article:

Code:
Possible Cause: Bad address syntax. For example, a contact is configured with a targetAddress attribute that has no address type.

Troubleshooting: Verify the recipient address and resend the message. Verify that the recipient address is formatted correctly and that the categorizer was able to correctly resolve the recipient.

I am still not sure how to figure out the problem ...

Can you send email to this recipient through OWA?
Did you check if the email stuck in the queue?

I cannot send email to this recipient through Outlook Web Access.

I checked in Exchange System Manager. The email did not stuck in the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back