Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Delays at my Web Host caused by spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenhamady

Instructor
Sep 10, 2000
US
My Domain is hosted by Verio (shared hosting), and whenever someone sends Email through one of my domain addresses it gets delayed. Delays have often been 30 minutes to several hours for the past week or two.

Verio support says that this is caused by a flood of Spam over the past few weeks, but no one else I know seems to be affected. And, if my Email bypasses my domain host and goes straight to my ISP, there is no delay.

Anyone else using shared hosting for a domain?
Is your Email delayed?

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

We had this problem in the past with our shared hosting plan with Interland. In the end we moved to a dedicated server with Rackspace. But while with Interland, we were given the same lame excuse ("...[too much] spam being sent through the networks"). We never quite figured out if it really was spam that caused it, but due to the irregularity of these delays, i do not think that one can place the blame solely on spam. Sorry i don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to add that yes someone else out there has experienced this annoyance.

If it's spam they need to upgrade their capacity. Verio bought out a local ISP here in town a few years back and closed down all office and the place which had a awesome name for itself got horrible rep.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Well it seems pretty consistent. Better on weekends but weekdays start with a mild delay and build to a significant delay. I am starting to send myself test messages. I wonder if there is an easy way to schedule a message to myself every 3 hours to see the pattern.

- tek@kenhamady.com

I know there have been issues with viruses being mass mailed on mail servers lately which is also causing a delay in mail delivery. I'm guessing the combo of the regular spam as well as these mass mailing viruses are causing the mail servers a lot of queuing and slowing down mail delivery. I am assuming you have tried sending test emails to the accounts from multiple domains. I'm wondering if the address on your domain is being forwarded to another domain address, if so try sending an email direct to the address that it is being forwarded to and see if you get the same results. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to send a test email every 3 hours but you might be able to set some sort of rule in the email client or atleast a reminder for yourself to send a test. Good Luck [thumbsup2]

Email sent directly to my ISP is never delayed. Email forwarded through my domain is what is delayed. Verio says that they have no inbound problem, just outbound. They say that if I wanted to use their web mail client instead of POP than I could get my Email faster - but I need the Email in my Email client.

Wouldn't viruses affect Email in general, not just my Verio account. The pattern seems to be that it is fine on weekends and in the wee hours of the morning, but it starts to slow down mid day and gets worse until evening. I will be tracking it manually for a few days and see if it stays consistent.

Thanks all.

- tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back