Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Delayed for One Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJNSBF

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
I have a user that is replying to an email outside the organization, and it is getting delayed and eventually undeliverable. I see it sitting in the queues with a 'retry' status. All other messages are going through fine. My first thought is that it's something on the other end, but is there something I can check on my side to ensure it isn't me. I'm currently playing "it's not my server" with the other group. Thanks in advance.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: Project
Sent: 5/5/2008 4:15 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

John Doe on 5/6/2008 4:34 PM
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.
<x.x.x.x #4.4.7>

Can the affected user send email to another user internally.

Yes, we do have a rDNS record. The affected user can send email to both local and non-local recipients. It is only this one external domain that she can't get email to. I'm not real familiar with the telnet commands. But I will look that up and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the telnet info. Everything appears fine when I telnet into that server. No errors reflected through the telnet session. Although I had to be a fast typer or the connection would get lost. I was able to telnet and enter commands at my leisure to my server.

The email was tried again this morning and it is still in 'retry' mode. Interesting tho, I have one more queue that is in 'rety' mode that has been sitting there for about an hour. I know this user successfully sent email to that domain before. Nothing has changed on our server, so I'm kind of at a loss at what else to look at.

I went to mxtoolbox.com and did the blacklist test on their site. It said I was ok on them. What about graylisting? Could a company have our domain graylisted? Is that used very much?

Ok, i performed the workaround and asked the senders to retry again. It goes immediately to retry state. At this point, using a smarthost is not an option. We do not have any spf records published.

did an NSLOOKUP and got the MX record for the destination domain. this is just bizarre to me. Thanks for all the help so far!

Long shot based on Pat's Spf incorrect comment, I dont suppose your rDNS is pointing at your router address instead of your exchange? Like I said, a long shot.

The telnet problems may benefit from a bit of googling as well?

nv

long shots welcome at this point! But no, the rDNS is pointed at my exchange. I tried the telnet again earlier and was able to send a message to that recipient. They notified me that they received it. The message is just hanging in 'retry' mode on exchange.

Things have been working great for awhile. No changes to the server at all. Just started happening for this one particular domain...but now I am seeing it for one or two other domains throughout the day, until the message expires. Not sure what could cause this...surely not related to database size or anything like that is it? (going for a long shot here myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back