Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email but no Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjonnnnn

MIS
Aug 25, 2000
US
Anybody ever heard of the email going through, but not the attachment. No error message.

There are a number fo reasons this could happen. , mostly to do with the client not allowing attachments and or a virus program or event script stripping them off before that are delivered.

What exactly is happening?

I got one user that when he send emails to a few selected people outside our company, the people received the email messages but not the attachment. In one instance, he sent and email to a number of people. All received the email message but one didnt receive the attachment....

In that case you can reasonably say that the problem is on the recieving end.

Can anyone else at your location send mail to the people at the remote company?

Is the user at your end using different client software than everybody else?

I would probably check with the remote system admin and see if he has any info that can help.

Whats weird is that if the email with attachments is sent through AOL, the other party gets the email and attachment, but they dont get them when sent from our company email (Exchange 5.5).

Now, remember all other emails and attachment are delivered fine when sent from our company. Its just a select 3 or 4 recipients that dont receive attachments.

try sending the mail that does not work to an AOL account. Then forward that mail on to the person that doesn't work. AOL is a really different mail system I would not ues it as an example or diagnostic system if you can avoid it.

What I meant was that the same person that was having trouble sending an attachment from his desktop through our server, can, on his same desktop open his AOL email account, attach the attachment, send it, and the recipient receives it... no problem.

Again AOL is very different as far as mail systems go how about trying it through hotmail or something.

Most likely the problem is on the receiving side and not with your sender and so diagnose the problem from there. Outlook 98 security patch for instance when installed will not deliver any executable attachments in emails. Check for the common factor in the 3 or 4 recepients who do not receive the emails as far as their client email handler is concerned as well as the messaging system (Exchange).
Regards.
Kuria [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back