Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email archiving solutions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtomasone

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
Does anyone know of any really good alternative GroupWise archiving solutions (besides GWarchive)? I have been asked to take a look around so was wondering what are all of you using? I think Novells archive sucks, myself because I have to run around fixing them when users nest the ofxxxarc file, among other things.

so...any ideas would be appreciated :)

Janis Tomasone
Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst

i have only ever seen one archive corrupt in my life and it fixed no probs

and only prob with it was it was 2gb in size

so i have never looked at any other solution as it delivers for me

I've never had an issue with GW Archive either, except that users occasionally forget how to get into it and think that their mail magically disappeared. What exactly do you mean by "nesting" the archive file?

We also have no problems with GWArchive. If you have problems with users nesting the archive files, you can force the archive path on the post office. That quicly removes the issue!

Jules

When you guys are talking about GW Archive... are you talking about the native Archive functions in GroupWise, or are you talking about Messaging Architects 3rd Party product that is called "GWARCHIVE"?

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Even though everyone responded with good intentions, I was originally asking for OTHER archiving solutions besides the native archive function in GroupWise and OTHER then GWarchive. We cannot use GWarchive at this time because of cost. It is very expensive. As for our current native archiving, we do not lock down users yet(!) and they have many difficulties with understanding the way it works. If they include the ofxxxarc file in the "path" rather then the folder above, it will create a "nested" or additional ofxxxarc folder under the original, etc. etc.

I have been assigned the task of looking at other archiving software that will work with GroupWise. Just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas.

thanks

Janis Tomasone
Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst

We roll those paths down to the clients, to avoid the situation you mention. We also have a 30 day policy, any email over 30 days old is auto-archived.

If we can get our users familiar with this, you can too. We use nothing but the built-in archiving and have zero problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back