Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Antivirus Protection . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

theripper

MIS
Aug 12, 1999
US
Currently using Norton Antivirus Corportate edition 7.5 - All setup locally. Is there a plugin or setting to watch for particular attachments? I have some users that continue to receive email with viruses. The antivirus will discover them ((but usually too late)).

I've also read you can't perform a regular scan of the mail directory simply because many items will appear as viruses that are truly not.

Suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

We use a product called "Guinivere" which scans all attachments to email messages. It runs on a Windows 98 workstation, although I suspect it could also run on a Windows NT workstation as well.

If a virus is found, the attachment is stripped from the message a bit of text is inserted into the message stating the attachment contained a virus.

Is that "Guinivere" used in conjuction with another antivirus or is that a stand alone product?

We use Guinivere with McAfee ver 4.5, however, the only portion of McAfee that is used is the command line scanner and the signature files.

Guinivere can be used with virtually any antivirus product. This is because Guinivere doesn't actually scan the file. It merely directs your antivirus software to scan it.

Thanks acecce!

Sounds like a very nice tool. Got a link where I can get more info?

ditto - "Guinivere" is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back