Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email a word document

Status
Not open for further replies.

josefin

Programmer
Oct 29, 2002
NZ
I am trying to send a report to a user as a word document using CE 8.5. The user receives an e-mail but when they click on the attachement Microsoft word opens and gives the following error: "Word cannot open the document Try one or more of the following *On the file menu click open to open the document, *make sure the file has a .doc extention"
If I try using open to open the file I get the same error. The file definately has a .doc extension as I have set the extension to .doc when I scheduled the report in crystal enterprise. Has anyone come across this? I thought it might be related to the file name being too long, so I shortened the file name to 6 characters, but I still get the same error.

Hi,
Just to check the obvious:
Did you specify Word format on the report properties tab?
Can you run it on-demand and export to Word?

( You could try RTF or PDF to see if it is something besides the format that is causing the problem..WORD can be very version-specific so that may also be an issue)

[profile]

when you set the file format are you putting in the .doc or are you putting in the %EXT%
when you schedule the report give it a name "testreport".%ext%
this will then put the file extention of the scheduled format. in the file name ie testreport.pdf , testreport.doc

Rat

I am putting a .doc extension on it. It must be something to do with either outlook express or maybe windows 97, as colleges with windows 2000 don't have any problems opening the file.

I get a similar error message if I try to open a file which has non-standard characters in the filename eg test~123.wks

Are your filenames pure alphanumerics ?

I thought the error may have been caused by the default file name being too long - so I specified a name of report.doc, it didn't make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back