Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ellipse requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric1

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Anyone have a general idea of the hardware and software that are necessary to run Ellipse? I'm looking for basic information such as:

Mainframe - hardware/software for OS/390
Server - hardware/software for Windows NT/2000
Workstation - hardware/software for Windows NT

We're currently running MIMS on an IBM Mainframe with OS/390. We have a server for SMARTGUI and a second server for TERMINAL server. I'm wondering if we need additional hardware and/or software if we move to Ellipse. Thanks!

Eric

Eric,

The only aditional hardware you reaquired are
1. NT/MS2000 server for WEB Server (If you are planing to use WEB interface)
2. NT/MS2000 server for Output Designer Server (if you are planning to use Output Designer)

Your Smartgui Servers may need to upgrade to facilitate the demands of OGUI. If you are planning for a large number of users a Citrix Terminal Server Farm would be an good idea.
Also you will have to give enough attention to your network bandwidth.

Cheers

I see some issues with Ellipse and the hardware/software configurations possible. Since Mincom and IBM have formed an alliance so Mincom can use WebSphere with Ellipse as the transport/presentation layer, if u want to use Compaq Hardware (running Tru 64 Unix), at present u cannot use IBM products. The only two TP options I am aware Ellipse can use is Tuxedo and IBM Kicks, and the future developments in Mims screens/objects will be in J2EE, which at present will not run on Microsoft's IIS Web server, which is where IMB WebSphere comes in again. It would appear as though Ellipse and future versions will be more closely coupled to particular software and hardware, and the ability to run Mims on a variety of hardware and software configurations may be a thing of the past?????

Please contact your Mincom Account Manager who will be happy to share this information with you.

jridgway

DRW – you are only partially correct in your analysis. Mincom supports a range of platforms and either Tuxedo, TX Series (IBM’s transaction processing middleware) or CICS on the O/S390 platforms.
Currently Mincom supports IBM’s Websphere for those customers who wish to deploy Ellipse via the web.
Using a product called XMLink customers who choose Tuxedo can still deploy their web enabled Ellipse application via Websphere.
More options are likely to become available in the not too distant future.

Ssince we use to run a Tuxedo version, surely a Weblogic version is not to far away.

Maybe Mincom's options will change in the future with both IBM's WebSphere and BEA's Weblogic being available.
ALthough I expect a release of a Weblogic version maybe some time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back