Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ellipse Reporting other than CorVu/RDL? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2kersh

MIS
Apr 1, 2003
US
Our company is currently looking for a solution to create advanced financial reports off of Ellipse. Has anyone implemented a reporting software on top of Ellipse (or MIMS) other than CorVu? If so, what product have you used, and what has been your experience?

Thanks,

JK

I would also be interested if anyone else has implemented a reporting solution other than Corvu.
D

Have you looked at the Gl Report writer within Ellipse. Alternatively write out flat files and import into excel with Macros.

Most of the reporting tools e.g. Brio, Business Objects, Corvu etc will sit over top of Ellipse. To make financial reporting simple with any of these tools requires the account relationship tables in Ellipse/Mims to be set up. That is, you should define your balance sheet, profit & loss statement or any other financial "view" of the business entity in the account relationship tables. I've produced some reasonably complex reports at a number of Ellipse/Mims installations using Brio and Corvu and the reports themselves have ended up being quite simple because all the logic is in the account relationship tables.

I very much doubt that you will need to invest in additional reporting tools.

Wayne

Adaytum/Cognos being used for budgeting, forecasting, financial planning, cash flow, financial reporting, etc, supported by daily extracts of actuals from several MIMS districts and database instances that require consolidation of information

Mincom have announced a partnership with Business Objects and that they will deliver standard reports written in BO for Ellipse starting in March. Business Objects will replace both RDL and Corvu as the reporting tool for Ellipse.

Anyone has had any experience with Business Objects, how does it compare with Corvu and other reporting tools?

We are using Brio (now a part of Hyperion). It works well for us and, for the most part, users find it quite easy to use.

Rgds
Donna

We have used both Microsoft Excel and Access with the ODBC drivers to connect to the DB2 database. If the user understands the data and the account relationships are well defined, as mentioned by wbyron on May 8 2003, this would be relatively simple for someone with Excell or Access knowledge.

Yes we have Business Objects Reporting which links to the Oracle Tables within Ellipse

Amisprd and Others:
What is your experience with BO pls? How does it compare with Corvu? I am interested in both user's perspective and the designer/programmer's perspective. To explain: our users may be quite happy with Corvu, but as a programmer I find it rather quirky. If anyone went through a MIMS upgrade on the BO reporting side, or thought about what that would entail?

Have been using BO for some time. RDL Extracts are downloaded nightly,weekly,monthly and ad-hoc. Reports produced and published for Management use.
Direct link to Databases is possible, however impact on performance could be significant.
The biggest issue was setting up the Universes. I believe Mincom will be providing "generic" Universe(s). Whether they suit your Business requirements is another matter.

Thank you to AMISPRD for advising the use of BO. Are you using the Mincom supplied BO reports? Are you printing documents linked to.. say .. Work Orders and Tasks via scheduling at all using BO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back