Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ellipse Payroll Module for Zimbabwe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimson123

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
ZW
Can someone out there share with me their experiences with Ellipse Payroll module.

We are starting the Ellipse 5.23 Migration next week and am a bit sceptical about this new module that we are taking on board.

Currently using Paywell & Belina payrolls and then uploading payroll journals into MIMS 4.1.

Hello zimson123,
We have Ellipse 5.2.1 and are going to upgrade to 5.2.3 soon. The payroll module is integrated with the human resources module, benefits module, general ledger module and work management modules.

We have had problems in the past and had to work them out with the vendor Mincom via helpdesk work orders. All in all the payroll module work's well. The area's that are cumbersome for the time keeper users are labor costing, and equipment hire. I presume that the problems we had are fixed in 5.2.3. We had to write a custom check print program, custom 401k extract, and custom eft program for direct deposit. One of our problems was when an employee changed from Salary to Hourly and vise versa.

Let me know if you would like to know more.
Thanks,
Dianne001

Hallo Dianne

Thanks for the invaluable feedback. Certainly I would like to hear more.

These are my concerns:

1. Is the tax culculation routine in Ellipse easily customisable to local needs eg Final Deduction tax system in Zimbabwe?
2. Can it cater for multiple pay types eg Daily, Hourly paid, Shift rate, Monthly paid in the same payroll?
3. Can it accomodate flag driven calculations and decisions. We have over 100 active flags in our current payrolls eg Medical Aid Type, Pension Scheme, Bonus Work team, Housing Allowance etc
4. Each month we have two payroll runs - a Normal Run and then an Incentive Bonus Run. Can we have the same in Ellipse ie the choice to run either Normal Run or Incentive Run. Different calcs are involved.
5. Can we have as many trial runs as possible before we commit a final run for both Incentive and Normal runs

I would appreciate any other info that you think may help ease my concerns eg Documentation.

Hello Zimson,

A word of warning. - Try if at all possible to convert to Ellipse Payroll at the beginning of the tax year.

Trying to migrate the data into the various Ellipse tables mid-year can be a pain in the A**. You need to make sure that all the tables (MSF835, MSF823, MSF837, MSF814, MSF815, MSF825 & possibly MSF845) are all in balance.

Like Dianne001, the client here ran into numerous problems (both our configuration and Mincom code errors) the first several months. As this point we are processing payrolls for about 2,000 employees / month, both hourly and salary
with no major issues.

Point 1.
I don't know the Mincom solution for tax calculation in Zimbabwe. Here in the United States, they have an 3rd party interface (BSI) that does the tax computations.

Point 2.
I believe you can have multiple pay type within a pay run.

Point 3.
If you mean, can it handle giving a housing allowance or deduction, on the first payroll of the month. the answer would be yes. (or every payroll as needed)

Point 4.
Again you should be able to do this.

Point 5.
You are able to run as many 'Previews' as you need.

It sounds like you're just getting started in the process, I'm sure Mincom will be covering your issues during one of their demos. I suspect if you meet with them, they would be able to demo test cases of your more unique requirements.

Jeff Sullivan
AddOns Inc
jeff@addonsinc.com

Hi, I'm from Mincom's support group.

Just to clarify Mincom doesnt have a payroll solution specifically suited to Zimbabwe.

Mincom has a development project in progress to suit South African payroll requirements. This project is currently in testing phase with a business consultant from South Africa in Australia for the testing. This project includes interfacing with the Paywell product.

While Mincom has no immediate plans to modify the payroll to suit Zimbabwe local tax calculations, that could change if there is sufficient customer demand in a business case.

I suggest you talk with your local account manager (say Dave King or Awie Buitendag) about organising a demonstration of the South African payroll modifications when they are complete, so together you can determine what features will work as you require in Zimbabwe.

Cheers.

We'll be going live with Ellipse Indonesian Payroll in August...I'll keep you posted! We've got a pretty good group of consultants from PT Mincom Indoservices. We're upgrading from Lattice.

Rgds
Donna

Hi Zimson123,
I am a user of Indonesia Payroll currently in Ellipse 523 with 3000 emps.

1. Is the tax culculation routine in Ellipse easily customisable to local needs eg Final Deduction tax system in Zimbabwe?
A: It's absolutely depends on its complexity, and your technical persons' understanding of tax calc.

2. Can it cater for multiple pay types eg Daily, Hourly paid, Shift rate, Monthly paid in the same payroll?
A: There are several methods of payments in Ellipse (Hourly, Daily or Monthly or percentage).

3. Can it accomodate flag driven calculations and decisions. We have over 100 active flags in our current payrolls eg Medical Aid Type, Pension Scheme, Bonus Work team, Housing Allowance etc
A: Here we have fixed payment that is paid regularly for each period. We also have a loader in Excel that is used to upload transactions, if external calculation/sources is required.

4. Each month we have two payroll runs - a Normal Run and then an Incentive Bonus Run. Can we have the same in Ellipse ie the choice to run either Normal Run or Incentive Run. Different calcs are involved.
A: Ellipse has Regular and Manual Payment, we call it envelopes. Surely, you can produce different payslip for its calculation.

5. Can we have as many trial runs as possible before we commit a final run for both Incentive and Normal runs
A: Yes. However, once Closing is committed, you cannot turn back to the previous period unless you use reversal processing.

Thats my 2 nickel answer.

R,
Waxman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back