Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminating WINS Broadcasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

APCO

Technical User
Jun 1, 2004
US
I'm running Netware 5.1, ISP provides DNS, we're using Netbios for sharing, WIN9x machines. My network has large bandwicth consumption by WINS Broadcasting. Is there any way to eliminate the Bcasting or should I create a local WINS server??? No DHCP either.
Thanks

you could use the reg tweak to change the node type...

my guess is you have a flood traffic virus...just a hunch...

I think the WINS Bcasting is legitimate. I see proper Broadcast by actual users with my sniffer and beleive NetBios is requesting, I could be mistaklen though. There is not a WINS server on our network and the ISP provides DNS only. Was wondering if I need to create a WINS for our network or is there a method of disabling the Bcast request???

If you do not have have a WINS Server on your network by default your Win9x clients will use broadcast in order to register there NetBIOS name. One way to change this behavior is to add a WINS Server and configure your clients to use this WINS Server. Clients will first attempt to use this WINS server instead of broadcasting to resolve NetBIOS names, and will only broadcast if the WINS Server can not be contacted. You can also change this behavior to changing the TCP/IP Node Type

The four TCP/IP node types are defined by number in Windows:
1 - bnode (broadcast only)
2 - pnode (WINS only)
4 - mnode (broadcast, then WINS)
8 - hnode (WINS, then broadcast)

The default Windows TCP/IP node types are:

If DHCP=False, and WINS is disabled, then NodeType=1 (bnode)* You are using this type now, no WINS Server Set

If DHCP=False, and WINS is manually set, then NodeType=8 (hnode)**If you set up a WINS server and configure clients this you will use this node

If DHCP=True, and DHCP sets WINS, then NodeType=8 (hnode)
If DHCP=True, and WINS is manually set, then NodeType=8 (hnode)
If DHCP=True, and WINS is disabled, then NodeType=1 (bnode)

The only way to allow the clients to use WINS only, and never broadcast there NetBIOS info is to set the node type to a PNODE (This must be done through a registry entry!). Please see this support article for the complete details and info. Be aware though, that in this mode if your WINS server goes down then you will not be able to resolve NetBios names until the server is backup.

Let me know if this helps!

Acquisitive_One
MCSA, A+

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Two thoughts. I don't know how large your network is, but I would never do without a DNS server and WINS server. Add one machine to do both. Point the dns server at the isp address, and point clients at local dns. This will speed up your internet browsing. Have all machines use the local WINS server, including the wins server itself and this will help with your broadcasting. It will take a while for clients to register in wins, but it will happen and help, especially since you are using 9x machines. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Thanks for both inputs. I'm leaning towards creating a local WINS & DNS. I will give input upon implementation...Thanks again.

Remember, dns servers point to themselves first, then isp, clients point only to local dns server.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back