Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Element Manager Cant Determine Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMtech38

Programmer
Jan 27, 2008
JM
Hi,
I have a BCM400 4.0 Whenever I try to log on with element manager i get an error that says cannot Determine Device.
Everything else works call pilot manager & bcm monitor.

I look Forward to a response

Have you tried to reinstall EM?

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.---George Carlin

Yes I have done that still the same thing. I tried with another computer and still the same. It boots up ok. It also validates and identifies the bcm 400. however, where you have software version I get: rpmdb:/var/local/lib/rpm/Packages:unexpected file type or formaterror: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)error:cannot open Packages database in /var/local/ system-release is not installed.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? If so, whats the fix?

I had the same thing a few months back, rather than open a case with ITAS, we installed a new HDD and all ok after that

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

Sounds like RPM database corruption I've seen a couple BCM 50's and 400's.
It will require Nortel to get in there and manually fix the corruption. Web-ex or dial up.Putty installed on the PC your doing the Web ex from.

BCM 4.0 cannot log in using Element Manager, getting error: "BCM detector cannot determine the device type for {BCM IP ADDRESS}"

"BCM detector cannot determine the device type for {BCM IP ADDRESS}".

Same Element Manager client is able to access other BCM 4.0 and BCM50 systems without issue. Problem is directly associated with the BCM 4.0 site that access is being attempted on. BCM Monitor, Web page, and serial port are accessible using same user accounts that were denied access using Element Manager.

When trying to connect to BCM 4.0 using Element Manager getting the following error:
This may be a result of RPM database corruption. This is normally observed by the following symptoms:

1) Attempts to connect to the same BCM using Web browser interface and/or BCM Monitor are successful.

2) By downloading and observing the logs, namely
systemInformation\tmp\InstalledSoftware.txt. Attached is a "sample good InstalledSoftware.txt" file which shows a normal "InstalledSoftware.txt". Also attached is a "sample bad InstalledSoftware.txt" file which shows an abnormal (truncated / shortened) "InstalledSoftware.txt".

3) Unable to connect to the BCM as per above screen capture.

Once symptoms are validated it is safe to assume the affected BCM 4.0 system's RPM database is corrupt. This database is a set of files that resides in /var/local/lib/rpm. They look like this:
[root@bcm40 rpm]# ls -l
total 5464
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 335872 Mar 13 18:32 Basenames
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 86016 Mar 13 18:32 Dirnames
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 323584 Mar 13 18:32 Filemd5s
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Mar 13 18:32 Group
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Mar 13 18:32 Installtid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Mar 13 18:32 Name
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1925120 Mar 13 18:32 Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90112 Mar 13 18:32 Providename
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28672 Mar 13 18:32 Provideversion
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40960 Mar 13 18:32 Requirename
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28672 Mar 13 18:32 Requireversion
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24576 Mar 13 18:32 Sha1header
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24576 Mar 13 18:32 Sigmd5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Mar 13 18:32 Triggername
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8192 Mar 13 18:22 __db.001
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1310720 Mar 13 18:22 __db.002
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 360448 Mar 13 18:22 __db.003
[root@bcm40 rpm]# pwd
/var/local/lib/rpm
This database contains information about the versions of all of the software installed on the BCM 4.0 system. The RPM database is created at system build time, and is updated when the BCM is patched or upgraded.

Problem Resolution
Preventative Solution:

***Download and apply patch BCM.R400.160-SoftwareManagement AFTER Nortel Technical Support recovers the RPM database for the affected site. This patch DOES NOT CORRECT RPM corruption and is intended as a preventative fix. Systems evidencing RPM corruption will need to have Nortel Support intervention to recover the RPM database for the reported site. Patch BCM.R400.160-SoftwareManagement contains the following enhancement to lessen instances of RPM corruption:

Automatic backup and restore of RPM Database. The RPM database on BCM 4.0 can become corrupt, preventing users from logging in with Element Manager or applying patches. This update delivers enhancements to the RPM Database robustness.

CR #Q01592770-01

Where RPM Database corruption is identified site access is required to ascertain the extent of the RPM corruption, gather data for analysis and, if necessary, to create a fix file (database replacement) to match the site database:

- Please provide site access and technician contact details when opening or escalating a case for this issue.

- A workaround using a replacement RPM database file is available in extreme circumstances requiring system access using Element Manager. The workaround will require Nortel Support intervention to generate the replacement database file based on patches applied to the system. Site logs are especially helpful in reducing resolution time to determine the patch level of the affected system and build the replacement RPM patch database file. Rebuild of the RPM database will require extensive Nortel Support lab time to generate the replacement file due to the requirement for the exact patch level at the affected site.

- Data collection tools to log HDD characteristics and create a resulting data file for Design analysis is attached to this solution as hdd_data.tgz. This tool will require Nortel Support to facilitate the data collection as root access is required to collect the data. The resulting data captures should be attached to CR #Q01540071.

-CR #Q01540071 is open and under investigation to determine the trigger event for the RPM corruption. Logs should be attached to CR #Q01540071 if available.

- Cases opened against this issue should be linked to Solution #S00281307 in Clarify as it is linked to CR #Q01540071.

- Problem is currently under investigation on BCM 4.0. The problem may also occur on BCM50s, however this is not conclusive as level 2 resets will recover the condition. In order to assist Nortel, where possible on a BCM50, please report the problem and do not perform a level 2 reset.

- The attached .tar file for an unpatched system is attached to this solution and may be used by Nortel Support to lessen file creation time if the files apply to the affected site.

- Use of the attached .tar files requires bsh shell access to the affected BCM, which requires a BCM 4.0 Password of the Day. These replacement RPM database files should not be applied to the system except under direct instruction or supervision by Nortel Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back