Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic SMDR/CDR on MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowtalks

Technical User
Mar 19, 2005
US
Customer asking if a 7.0 MICS will allow them to pull SMDR/CDR records electronically from the system. They have a system that at one time sent CDR to a printer via an SMDR box that looks like an ATA2 and that no longer works. Any ideas?

thanks, Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have became a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E
Mitel 3300 4.2 basic & advanced, 5000 4.0, NuPoint I&M 4.2

Yes, replace it.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Replace the SMDR adapter?

The customer had an old SMDR and we had to replaced the software and reprogram the system and after that it hasn't worked. We researched and replaced the old SMDR with the only one we could get, a newer version and we can't get it to work with the printer. I am not at all familiar with the SMDR-to-printer setup as all the old school guys that would have set it up have retired. We have gone through the books and the set up guides to no avail.

The customer's IT guy would like to be able to retrieve the data electronically instead of on a dot-matrix printer, which is the original question...can you do it, via IP or serial connection from the MICS?

Thanks, Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E Avaya IP Office
Mitel 3300 Basic & Advanced 5000 NuPoint I&M MiCloud

If they have upgraded their "OS" the "SMDR" may no longer be compatible. I have found several things that won't work with Win7.

Wayne T

also depending on what you upgraded the system t you may need an SMDR 6.

Maybe I didn't understand the question, you are not very clear.
You are asking if the MICS will do it yet you said it was already working but no longer works.

What are you after?
Are you looking to fix the existing?
Are you looking for new way to report other then the way it used to do?

You can also get any 3rd party software to translate the data that is pushed out of/to the SMDR.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I think what Crowtalks is asking, is there any other way of grabbing SMDR other than from a CLI2. Are there any compatible devices as CLI2's are rarer than hens teeth?

Yeah, I wasn't very clear with my question curlycord, but I enhanced it in my reply.

We ordered an SMDR 6 unit and we can't get it to communicate anything but gibberish to the printer, but as I said of all the systems I have installed and repaired (hundreds) I have never fooled with an SMDR unit...ever, We always dropped the CDR on the BCMs and the Options to a 3rd party software and let that massage the info.

I didn't think about using terminal emulation on a PC to see if it will spill it, the IT guy would run with that, I believe, I'll try it.

Thanks for the replies.

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith" Albert Einstein

Equipment installed is MICS REL 1 with 7.0 DR software. They use to have an SMDR5 but it was removed from the system accidently (technician was never told about it until after the clean up process and 2 days later). We could not get it to work so we went ahead and ordered a new SMDR6. SMDR6 is punched down on 66 block on a digital station port and then goes to the Hospitality machine "ESI Phone Bill", which then routes into the printer. Tried both ways to hook it up to the hospitality machine and also to bypass hsptly and plug directly into the printer. I did F*2 to access programming and got the "Printer Problem" message and waited. I programmed the SMDR with Norstar, Standard, outgoing only Format, and double checked the baud rates to no avail....

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can you connect it to a PC or Lap Top with some sort of terminal emulation software on it. That's the way I've always had luck working with them, after I get it to work there then I plug into my Printer or 3rd party software. It looks like your settings are right.

If memory serves me correctly, I think I finally left it on baud rate 2400 since that is the minimum requirement... We are going today to try hyperterminal.
Thanks again for all the tips!

MamaSig

Yes, we were both talking about the same system, I hopped on board mid-problem.

Connected the SMDR to a laptop via TeraTerm and SL1 format and that is what the IT guy wanted, he is going to massage the data and spit it out in another format...we could never get the printer to talk with the SMDR after reprogramming though, regardless what we did...but the issue has been resolved to the customer's satisfaction.

Thanks for the replies

Jim

Yeah, it was a serial printer running through a Hotel Suite box that was apparently set to print at a certain time of day...regardless whether we connected directly to the printer or through the 3rd party box, it kept getting printer error, F9*2 settings didn't matter either...going through TeraTerm via serial connection it works flawlessly, though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back