Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic Letterhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtk3

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
CA
Hello. We have company letterhead that has banners on the very top and very bottom edges of the page. I've been asked to create an electronic version of this letterhead as a template for uses to create documents from.

I've researched this a fair bit on the net and although I understand about saving the Word doc as a .DOT (template) extension, I can't seem to get the banners to go to the very edge of the page. I've changed the Header and Footer values to 0 as well as the Top and Bottom margins to 0 yet there is still a space between the banner and the edge of the page when I print.

How do I create this electronic letterhead so that users can't modify it and the banners are at the edge of the page?

Thanks.
Cheers
DTK

Hi DTK,

What happens when you actually print depends on the capabilities of your printer (and possibly printer driver as well). Does your printer have full bleed capability? It's not normal on office laser printers although modern photo printers may have it.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Is there a way to create electronic letterhead then? I guess whatever comes up on my screen isn't neccessarily what will come out of all the different printers we have.

Cheers
Dayle

Hi Dayle,

Word shouldn't have any problem with it, but there is no way at all round physical printer limitations. If you want to print something you must do it on a printer with the capacity (it's just the same as having a document in colour and sending it to a monochrome printer - it won't come out on paper the same as it appears on screen).

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Most printers and plotters have a margin around the edge of the paper that they will not print on, averaging about 1/8" depending on the printer. There are a couple of inkjets on the market now that will do it, though I'm not sure about lasers.

My advice would be to spend the extra few bucks and have a professional printer do them up. It'll look nicer (color) and you won't need a template to screw around with.

Thanks! Yeah, we actually have the letterhead professionally printed already, but for some reason they still want an electronic version for users to type/print on. I think it might be more for the documents they attach for emails and what not but I know they'll want the printouts to look the same as the professional letterhead.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Dayle

As Tony mentioned, there is no way around the fact that Word displays according to what the printer drivers says is acceptable.

Well, that is not totallt accurate. You CAN force the display to show text/graphics right to the edge of the paper. However, it still will NOT print outside the printer driver defined minimum margins.

Gerry
See my Paintings and Sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back