Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roytwo

Technical User
Jun 17, 2008
US
This Friday we will have a planned electrical outage building wide. We have a Nortel four column CS1000. What is the proper way to shut down and to bring it back up? How long after electrical power is restored should we wait before bringing switch back online?

The breakers are on the back of the column at the bottom of the pedestal. Turn all breakers off prior to the outage. Once the power is back on I would wait maybe 15 minutes and power everything back on. If you have a DC switch then you can just turn off the breakers at the rectifier.

Please be aware that if you have a CS1000M that uses the NT4N39AAE5 CPPIV processor cards you may be affected by the "dark card" issue when you try to power up. Essentially, if you remove power to the card, it may or may not reboot. It is a known issue and there is a bulletin about it. If you do have those cards I would strongly suggest you have replacements on hand (more than two)
That being said. Do you have any other equipment like CallPilot, Sig servers, etc.
If so, gracefully shut those down first, then shut the columns down column 4,3,2,1. I would unplug the power cords also if it is an AC system. I would power on when I was confident the power was stable, in the reverse order.

It goes unsaid to make sure you have current backups of all equipment.

Thanks for the info. About the signaling servers. Is there a graceful way to shut these down or is it ok to just unplug them?

I'm assuming these are external signal servers? If so just power them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back