Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

elaborate unknown virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
NO
came across a really elaborate virus or trojan the problems began after booting and receiving a message from windows that the system had had to restore several files (unfortunately I didn't note which)

the malicious little creep has performed the following on my system:

1. denies access to internet through IE (attempts to download files to the temporary internet folder, which doesn't exist so it fail (* astonished)
2. alters NAV and any other AV program files
3. blocks windows help (as if that would really do any good :)) (again attempting to download files in place of opening the progam)
4. deletes the "run" button in the start menu
5. disables the possibility of entering programs through start menu

Have run HJT etc and gone through registry without detecting any conspicious new commands or files.
Have searched and googled for three days without coming across a virus that excactly matches the description.

So, a plead for help here...

Alright, we'll start up Erik and Mike's Spyware Bash???

Bill, the LSPFix, is a variant on the Winsock, it replaces various files and such that may have been removed by Spyware, it is why I recommend to use it first.

Try Trend Micro's Housecall online scan. I have seen a few computers with the Trojan Bagle BE variant (Beagle BG to Symantec) that has similiar features with the disabling the AV. A reinstall of the AV program and update of the def's, then a scan might help also. I would do at least both. It sounds to me like you need to attack this as a virus. This particular trojan can also open the door to a worm of the same name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back