Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ejecting cd from drive cause computer to shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskny

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
has this ever happened to anyone? this is a fairly new machine. this doesn't happen all the time but a good amount. while opening the cd drive, it shuts the machine down.

Does the machine go through the motions of shutting down the PC or does the power just cut out ?

it does not go through the shutdown process...it just cuts off then reboots

Eject button, or my computer,cd, eject? I live with a BSOD on 95 with a zip disk if I eject with the button. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

this is the physical eject button

Sounds like a loose wire/plug in the back of puter being jolted when you push on the CDrom

This wouldn't happen to be a Mac, would it?!

on one of my computer the floppy drive has this problem. whenever I push the eject button the computer acts as though the plu was pulled out of teh wall. I tried everything short of buying a new drive. Then I bought a new drive, installed it, turned the computer on, insterted a floppy, eject it......... same thing!!!(I eventualy just bought an external floppy drive)

Anyways, good luck

Hi
The problem could either be hardware shorting or corrupted software.
For hardware troubleshooting do the following with the pc cover off:
- Remove the CD drive from the chassis completely and test(make sure all data and power cables are sitting properly). Physical contact between the drive and pc should only be the data and power cables. Do not over stretch the wires and please observe all safety aspects especially electrical ones.
If the problem is still present, repeat the above test first with another CD drive and then with a different PSU.
If the above does not cure the problem then the fault most probably is with the software.
The above tests will give clues to loose metallic objects inside the pc, CD drive shorting, bad PSU, loose wires etc.

For software troubleshooting, please repost with details of you OS & hardware.

Good luck

As this is a physical restart when the CDrom ejects it does sound like one of two things: Your Power supply is interupted by the current draw of the CDrom ejecting (weak or faulty PSU)
Or The CDrom mechanism is faulty in someway and demanding an unusually high surge of power possibly even a short.
Swop and see. Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back