Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eject tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagstrom

Technical User
Sep 13, 2002
NL
Although I checked the option "eject tape" while scheduling a job. The tape is not ejected.

Some tape drives will not "eject", for instance a Travan drive. If it ejected the tape would fall in the floor :). Also, on occassion, if a backup failed or crashed, the tape will not eject.

-Debijo

One nice thing I find about eject tape is it automatically alerts me that my backup had a problem. I only need one tape to do my backups. When I go to chg tape and I see the tape hasn't popped out, I know there is a problem without looking at arcserve. Also, I have a remote server with arcserve on it. The folks in that office( non technical) can tell me before I look if there is a problem because the tape hasn't popped out. Extra safety net on those days you might get a tab busy and not look at arcserve first thing in the morning.

I am also having problems with the eject tape from within Arc serve. My jobs all have the option checked, only thing is, is that some work, some don't. What gives? Anyone have any clues? I really, really don't want to call India for this one!

One of the replies above is correct. There are some drives that won't eject tapes. I don't know the model, but it had been described to me has one with a handle that has be be pulled or turned to get the tape out. I've only used internal Compaq drives and I have always had success with them.

Are you setting up your backup job from the server screen or from the Manager? I personally have never figured out how to get that tape to pop out when doing the backup from a job I created directly on the arcserve screens on the server. The manager is where I get that to work. Also, try looking at the selection choices you have made about the tape you are using. I always pick the third option for first tape and all additional tapes. Basically I tell Arcserve to backup on the tape I gave it regardless if it is new or used. Might not sound like this should be it, but give it a try. Better than calling Arcserve. By the way....have you checked Arcserve's web tech support pages to see if they address this matter? I have found on occasion that they have had some patches that have corrected problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back