Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eject /cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehspacl

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
GB
I am trying to eject a tape after a Oracle failed install. But using pfs_umount /cdrom is returning this message:-
umount: /cdrom: Block device required

Has anyone got a idea how I might unmount the disk in the cd drive?

This is just a guess: are your pfs_mountd and pfsd daemons running? The Oracle mounting instructions say to start them with nohup. Perhaps they weren't and aren't running?

Thanks for your ideas bi but I have finally managed to umount the cd. It took a mixture of kill pid's by identifying them with the fuser command, rebooting and using xstm &. But finally my cd is free from the unix box.

Thanks again

Paul

FYI,

I just created a FAQ about patches to replace the need for PFS.

-----------------------
PHCO_26449
PHKL_26450
PHKL_28060

-----------------------
PHCO_25841
PHKL_28025
PHKL_26269

mount -o rr <CD Devname> <CD Mountpoint>

Geoff

So if you install these patches for HP-UX11.0 like I have, then there is no need for the nohup processes to load cd's?

I have not heard of these patches before, what are they for?

Many thanks for your post.

Paul

The first 2 add the Rock Ridge extensions to the ISO-9660 file system in the mount commands and the kernel. The 3rd corrects a potential Data Page Fault condition in the kernel when reading Rock Ridge CDs.

After installing these, you should be able to use the normal mount command to mount Rock Ridge format CDs. Just add the '-o rr' option. The PFS stuff is no longer necessary.

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back