Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EJB Server - EJB Container

Status
Not open for further replies.

henpat123

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
Hi,
Does anyboody know the difference between EJB Server and EJB Container...I was asked in one of the interview for Sr.Developer position, but I could not give a convincing answer?

henry

Wow, that's a searching question. I'll have a go and let someone correct me.

EJB Container
A service which is able to run Enterprise Java Beans and control their life-cycle as per the EJB Specification. The container controls availability of the EJBs through instance and thread pooling. Various J2EE support is provided for the EJBs such as JNDI and Transactions.

EJB Server
A layer around an EJB Container which, via technologies such as RMI and Corba, exports the functionality provided by EJBs running inside the container, across the enterprise.

Tim
---------------------------
"Your morbid fear of losing,
destroys the lives you're using." - Ozzy

I would have said that there is no such thing as an EJB "server" - the pedantic correct name for something that can handle EJB server-side is an "EJB container".
A compliant J2EE server is one that contains within it an "EJB container". But I could be wrong !

Whatever - I think the difference is stupid, and I would have asked the interviewer what the point of such a pedantic question was in any case !

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

I suppose it depends on the motivation behind the question. (Although interviews are challenging enough without having to gauge the interviewer's motivation for questions as well as demonstrating a technical knowledge in the answer)

I mean, in my experience, you don't get an EJB Container without a J2EE Application Server. It makes no sense. So yes, sedj, the difference is stupid. It almost makes me think the interviewer didn't *REALLY* understand the technology, and was trying to look like they could ask clever questions. In which case, telling them the question was pointless and pedantic would have exposed the interviewer's naivety and the whole interview would have taken a downturn. Though working in a company which doesn't understand its own technology could be bad news anyway.

If they were trying to trap the OP with a trick question, well, it depends on your standpoint I suppose. My reply above falls into the trap of 'inventing' an anwser to satisfy the interviewer; there is no explicit 'EJB Server', only a concept which we all take for granted as part of the role of a J2EE Application Server.

Tim
---------------------------
"Your morbid fear of losing,
destroys the lives you're using." - Ozzy

Stupid interviewers that don't understand the questions they are posing - two a penny

patronising the dumb interviewer by pointing out their question is pointless and mis-informed - priceless.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

That's what I thought.... that they can be used both interchangeable...although I agree that a EJB Container lies within an EJB Server (per timw)...!
And then I did talk about the EJB contract between the bean-developer and the EJB container per EJB specification that brings portablility of EJB containers..and therby we can have different EJB container vendors...but the EJB Server reamins the same??? I don't know. I think that was a stupid Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back