Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EIGRP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all ,

I was just taking free exam on web ..
In one of the site It's says EIGRP is distance vector protocal . IS it true ?????....
I thought it was hybrid routing protocal..

Any one can help me ?????

EIGRP combines the advantages of link-state and distance vector. It is a hybrid protocol. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA,(Routing)
[americanflag]

In ?Cisco terms EIGRP is considered an advanced distance vector protocol. For exam purposes it is DV.

I agree with ste1. It is considered an advanced distance vector protocol. That is what you will see in the Cisco publications. And for all intents and purposes, that is the answer they want to see.

This is straight from the Designing Large Scale IP Networks by CiscoPress.

Enhanced IGRP is an advanced distance vector protocol that has some of the properties of link-state protocols. Enhanced IGRP addresses the limitations of conventional distance vector routing protocols (slow convergence and high bandwidth consumption in a steady state network). When the network is stable, Enhanced IGRP sends updates only when a change in the network occurs. Like link-state protocols, Enhanced IGRP uses a hello mechanism to determine the reachability of neighbors. When a failure occurs in the network, Enhanced IGRP looks for feasible successors by sending messages to its neighbors. The search for feasible successors can be aggressive in terms of the traffic it generates (updates, queries, and replies) to achieve convergence. This behavior constrains the number of neighbors that is possible.

HTH.
Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back