Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EFM PRI vs ISDN PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixx1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2006
US
A sales person is trying to convince our office to convert from our current T1-ISDN PRI to an EFM PRI. I'm not familiar with EFM. Is this technology better? Is it completely compatible with the Merlin Legend system?

EFM (Ethernet in the First Mile) is going to come in on an IAD (Integrated Access Device) probably manufactured by Adtran or Cisco. It will deliver your PRI and your Internet access over the same circuit, the Internet bandwidth will be dynamic, depending on the number of Voice channels in use at any particular time.

Since it will be some type of VoIP transport back to their CO switch, you will probably have difficulties with devices like Faxes, Modem, Credit-Card readers, etc., and may need to force them to communicate a slower speeds. If you use WinSPM for remote programming, it would be a good idea to keep at least one POTS line connected, as well as perhaps some for fail-over and fire/burglar alarms.

Thank you TouchToneTommy! Would your recommend we stay with the T1-ISDN? This is an office of about 35 employees with a lot of them on the phone at any given moment. 3 fax machines and 1 CC processing unit.

To chime in with what Tommy said, if they go with this for all of their telephone service, you will no longer be able to dial in with WINSPM.

I have one client that uses that type of service, so now, what was a 1/4 or 1/2 hour dial up has become a 1 1/2 on site visit.

I had another client that went back to ISDN after about 2 weeks on this type of service.

I WOULD HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST THIS KIND OF PHONY CRAP!! THE ONLY GOOD DS1/PRI IS A DIRECT DS1/PRI!!! NOT SOME CONVERTED CRAP FROM SOME FLY-BY-NITE COMPANY TRYING TO PASS THIS AS REAL SERVICE... THESE ARE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! THE PEOPLE SELLING THIS STUFF DON'T KNOW THEIR ASS FROM AN OFFICE REPEATER SHELF!!

....JIM....

Thanks everyone for the replies. Currently paying about $900+ for ISDN-PRI from AT&T. Deltacom (not familiar with them) is offering ISDN PRI with 23 channels and 40 DIDs for HALF that price. Is AT&T marking the price up THAT much??

When compared to pricing in my area, I'd say they are about $350-$450 (per month) higher than what a quality competitor can offer for true PRI.

However, you may be renting some of the equipment, have thousands of free minutes bundled in the deal, discounted international calling, a grip of unneeded DID blocks and/or other features that make apples-to-apples comparisons unfair.

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back