Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Efficient searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerasi

Programmer
Jun 19, 2000
CA
Hello.<br>I have a table with about 100,000 records in it, this table will be accessed by users from the internet, in order to allow users to browse through the contents of this table I needed to create a SortID column (this is an int field that I number according to the description field). <br>My problem is that it takes way too long to resort (or reindex) this field with the stored procedure I got (I using a cursor to loop and renumber the fields)<br>If anybody has an idea that would help me I would be very grateful (any ideas welcome).<br>Thank you.<br><br>Ian.<br>

Ian, I'm unsure of why you need to reindex.<br><br>Can you not just SELECT &lt;fields&gt; ORDER BY &lt;field&gt;?<br><br>You could also try reducing the number of fields in your table.&nbsp;&nbsp;For only 100,000 records though the performance increase may be minimal unless your table is very wide.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back