Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Efficient Insert/Update Method problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqlHunter

Programmer
Jun 3, 2004
US
I finshed a project where from flat file all the information is processed in a staging database and then from the staging it inserts/updates information into the production tables using stored procedures.
There was 2 options here since the file was small in size.
1. Mass update and insert in a single transaction
2. Row by Row processing using cursor and committing the transaction at each row level
We are using option 1 and it works fine with no issues with very less processing time though the error handling is hard.

Now there is a change to the file and amount of records coming in would be huge around half a million records each day.
Now Iam really confused.If I use the first option it may cause locking and blocking since its a mass update in one single transaction.
If I choose option 2 then the time taken to process these many records will be huge.

Is there any other way I can process these efficiently.Can I do it in batches If so how can I do it?..Please help me with this

If you want to do it in batches, you could add an identity column to your staging table. The value would increment from 1 to (the number of records). Then, modify your code to use the identity column so that it updates in batches.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

How about using ROWCOUNT 10000 and having a controlled insert and update.Will that help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back