Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Efficient 5360 - P/N: 60-5360-123 - Very Slow Browsing, HELP!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEErald

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
I recently routed my 3 computers together with a Linksys 4-Port Router and my Efficient Networks 5360 modem. The LAN is working fine and as far as online games, it goes fast with all 3 running online games. The problem is when it comes to browsing the internet, it takes about 5-10 mins to successfully load a page most of the time without me clicking reload 20 times to get the page loaded. The part number on the modem is 60-5360-123 and I apparently read somewhere that this modem is a re-flashed 60-5360-023 due to problems with the wan either on the router or the modem. I can't use the firmware update to re-flash my modem due to it being only for the 60-5360-023 modem and it will corrupt mine. I don't know what to do and I would rather not dish out extra money buying another router and or a different modem on ebay and have it not working either. Does anyone out there know a fix for this?? Any input in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to hook the Efficient modem to one computer to see if it's causing the same problem? I have the same modem and was having problems getting it to stay connected to the internet. It would work fine for about 5 minutes and then lose connection for about 2 minutes, work fine for another 5 minutes, lose for two...and so on...Well trying to get tech support on that modem...good luck. I tried to deal with them for about 4 months now and they still didn't know what was going on<in otherwards I kept getting the runaround>. I finally purchased a 4 port linksys router and built another computer. I hooked both of them upto the router and the Efficient to the router as well and I've not experienced that problem since then.

What are your specs on your computers?

Yes, It works fine with each of the computers by itself. I've made sure that it that it works before I routed my 3 computers together. Do you have the same modem with the same part number?? And I'm guessing you don't have any problems with the slow browsing using Internet Explorer?? The specs on the three computers:

First Computer:
WinME :: AMD 1.6 ghz :: 256 mb RAM :: 60 gig HD
SIS 315 128mb graphics card :: SIS 900 ethernet card.

Second Computer:
WIn98 SE :: PIII 500 mhz :: 128 mb RAM :: 12 gig HD
NVidia graphics card :: Linksys ethernet card.

Third Computer:
WinXP Home :: AMD 1.8 ghz :: 512 mb RAM :: 80 gig HD
NVidia graphics card :: NVidia ethernet card.

How many computers have you routed your DSL to?? And was there anything you did extra from the regular steps of networking and routing your computers together?? Thanks for the response. Sorry I took so long to respond. The only way I can check this is through my school's computers.

GEErald,

Did you manage to resolve this problem? I'm having a similar problem with a 5 computer system, using a Linksys 8 port router and the Speedstream 5360.
Like you, I have computers running Win Me, XP and 98SE.
In my case, only one computer runs extremely slow- the Win Me unit. This unit had Sympatico Access software installed on it first to test the connection, after which it was uninstalled and connected to the router.
I have wondered whether the software made some registry changes that i need to find and remove/correct. Any advice??

Paps,

I actually figured out how to solve this. Due to the internet browsing going so slow for me, I had to change the MTU value under the Advanced::Filters in the settings for the router. Since I have Ameritech DSL service, the MTU value that worked for me when I changed the value for the router was 1430. Without using the router and if the modem was used on one compture, the original value 1495 would've been fine. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Gerald

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is a known issue, not with routers, but with the 5360 itself. I'm going to try your fix myself to see what it does, BUT, another quick fix is available here (I'm not joking about this):

This temporary fix is simply power cycling the modem (not the router). To do that:

1. Power the 5360 off for 1 minute
2. Power the modem on, let it cycle through the lights
(all lights on, then all lights off, then 1 on,
then 2 on, then 3 solid lights on).
3. (At 3 solid lights on) Immediately power the modem off
4. Count to 1 (Say 'one thousand one')
5. Turn the modem back on.

This doesn't always work, but usually works within 1-3 tries and lasts until the next time the modem is powered off. Like I said, this is usually a temporary fix, not a permanent one.

THIS site indicates that the issue REALLY is inside the 5360, because the issue ALSO occurs with just straight NICs (though easier to configure here.):

Here is an SNET reference Page for the permanent fix:

And an Ameritechs (AIT) reference page:

The Firmware update permanently fixes this issue, and The 'Official' (Per SBC and Efficient Networks) fix can be read about here:

Amusingly, they only cryptically refer to it as:

'Subject: Update the 5360 firmware to fix 10 Base-T connection problems.'

So, if you do not know what you are looking for, you might never find it. Like I said, I'm going to try it myself and see how it works. Thanks for your info hopefully someone can use one of the above as well.

There's another work around: Change your ethernet card's properties to 100/half-duplex, rather than autosense or any 10 setting. It seems that the model of 5360 with this issue doesn't &quot;like&quot; the slower speed. No, this doesn't really fix the issue with the 5360, but it should speed up browsing for y'all.

I'm having the same problem as Gerald. I have the 60-5360-123 and it works fine if I connect it to my NT4 or Win 2K computer (Static IP).
If I connect it to my Linksys BEFW11S4 V2 wireless router, it won't work. If I just put a hub in between the computer and the modem, it won't work.
I tried the power cycle a few times with no luck. Has anyone heard from Efficient if the -123 can use the -023 flash or if there is another permanent solution?
Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

Try what I posted above. I've tried all what the other people posted, but I'm sure this will work. If not post back your results. If your lazy on scrolling up here it is again ::

Due to the internet browsing going so slow for me, I had to change the MTU value under the Advanced::Filters in the settings for the router. Since I have Ameritech DSL service, the MTU value that worked for me when I changed the value for the router was 1430 ::

Hope this helps,
Gerald

Gerald,
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.
I don't have any software settings for the Modem. It isn't a router. I looked at pictures of both on the Efficient web site to be sure. I had an older (Alcatel) modem running before, plugged directly into a hub and then shared. If I do the same with this one, it doesn't pass the signal.
Thanks,
Andy

Andy,
I have a speedstream 5360, 060-5360-123 modem (Like yours). It is connected to a 4 port netgear hub and it shares it's connection fine with two of my other computers that are connected to the same hub.

I haven't made any firmware upgrades to the modem nor have I used any of the fixes listed above.

Here's just a couple of simple suggestions:
1) Make sure that your 5360 modem is connected to the Hub's Uplink port and the uplink button is turned on.

2) Make sure that all of your computers are set to detect Ip address automatically and that DHCP is enabled.
3) Make sure that all of your computers have file and print sharing enabled.
4) If your DSL connection uses PPPoE to connect, make sure that the PPPoE software is installed on one of the computers and that the PPPoE connection is shared. This is done by going to start-settings-network connections; right click the PPPoE connection and go to properties; click the sharing tab and check the box that says Internet connection sharing. Click apply/ok.

Hopefully that helps.

Jim

My father was having the same problem with his computer running win98, where it would take several minutes to start loading a web page. He called the tech support and they traced it back to IE &quot;automatically detect settings&quot; checkbox under IE's options, under connections. Don't know if that will help...?

ok just a quick one for the dsl modem settings,i altered mine a few times and found the following got me up to nearly full speed
MTU= 1475
RECIEVE WINDOW= 373760
TTL= 54 YES 54 NOT 64
SESSION TO KEEP ALIVE= 600
MTU AUTO DISCOVER= ENABLED
BLACK HOLE DETECT= DISABLED

somtimes the mtu IS better set at 1500 but you will have to try it for yourself
take care and have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor