Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Efficiency in file transfers: telnet vs NetBIOS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

npowell

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
US

I am responsible for moving large amounts of data from a UNIX box to a PC. Both of these machines are at another office 10 mi. away. Both machines are on my network and all PC's on this network use NFS Maestro to talk to the UNIX box.

Which method would be the most efficient to accomplish this: a telnet session with the Unix box telling it to send data to the PC -- OR -- using my machine (windows nt)to cut and paste from one to the other using explorer.

In other words, is the actual data (many GB!)going to be routed through my machine (which is 10 mi away!)to the other PC? Or is my pc going to provide ONLY COMMANDS while the two machines transfer the data.

I thank you all in advance for any help on this dilemma

Telnet? NB?? ugh... set up a FTP script and let it rip. I have a client that each day moves about 6 gig via FTP between mainframe hosts. Works great and is simple.. all nice things to have :)

MikeS Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Thanks wybnormal - I've been thinking about learning how to do that too :)

search Tek-Tips on FTP... we just had a thread about it.. including on how to automate it.

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

wyb is right..large amounts of data should transfer via FTP..not a rudimentary service like telnet or NT's cache limited cut/paste.

Excellent advice wybnormal...when moving large amounts of data..use a protocol designed for it..FTP.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I appreciate the advice and am setting up my scripts as we speak. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back